How To Get Rid Of Gophers And Keep Them Away From Your San Diego Property
May 23, 2022
There are many pests you’ve probably encountered around your property. Maybe you’ve seen ants or spiders crawling around or dealt with stinging insects like wasps, but there are other pests you might not even consider. Wildlife species such as gophers are yard invaders that cause problems for residents.
Many people have questions about these strange animals called gophers. They are a rodent but significantly bigger than rats and mice. Gophers have prominent cheeks, strong claws, small eyes, and short legs; they are gray or brown and have large front teeth. Gophers are best known for their burrowing habits as they build tunnels underground.
Find out why gophers in San Diego are a worrisome pest problem and get wildlife control tips from the experts at Habitat Protection.
Signs Of Gopher Activity Around Your Property
Other than seeing gophers around your yard, there are two main signs of their presence. Because these rodents spend most of their lives underground, you might not see them at first. Instead, look out for these two things:
- Dirt Mounds: As gophers create their tunnels, the dirt they move out of the earth piles up. These mounds are usually round or oval after the gopher excavates. They also leave exit holes.
- Ruined Vegetation: While dirt mounds are common, they aren’t always present. Gophers can come over from other yards and damage plants. At times, they eat various plants, vegetables, and fruits and forage above the ground.
If you see either of these signs, it’s good to contact the San Diego pest control experts for a property inspection. Other pests like moles also dig tunnels, so we need to figure out what pest species you’re dealing with and how to remove them.
The Extent Of Damage Gophers Can Create On Your Property
Gophers are mainly yard-destroying pests as they rarely get indoors. But, they can ruin your entire yard in very little time. Just one gopher can create up to three dirt mounds each day. Over a month, you could have dozens of intersecting tunnels in your yard. As gophers make these systems, they ruin grass, gardens, flowers, bushes, and more.
How To Remove Factors That Attract Gophers
Gophers are tricky to prevent because they will eat many kinds of plants, and you need to address your entire yard to avoid them. However, there are a few ways to deter these pests, such as:
- Put Up A Barrier: You can create a perimeter around your yard or garden with gopher mesh or chicken wire products.
- Plant Vegetation That Gophers Don’t Like: Gophers aren’t fans of daffodils, onion, or garlic, so planting these varieties might deter them.
- Use Repellent Products: Certain smells tend to prevent gophers from coming around. You can try peppermint oil, chili powder, and garlic stakes.
But, the most effective way to prevent gophers is to contact the team at Habitat Protection for ongoing home pest control.
The Most Effective Method Of Gopher Control For Your Property
If you have seen signs of gophers around your property, it’s not always easy to remove them on your own. They are challenging to prevent and even harder to remove, so having our wildlife removal experts at Habitat Protection provide reliable and effective services is your best bet.
Contact us today to request a quote or learn more about our gopher eradication services.
What Our Customers Are Saying
"My overall experience with your company was very good. They were on time and professional. They did good work and answered all questions we had. From the first point of contact with your company, we have had a good experience. Great customer service. We will use them in the future and highly recommend them!"
Contact Habitat Protection Today!(760) 991-3403
Reach out today to learn more pest control services in San Diego, CA.