What Every San Diego Resident Should Know About Thief Ants
August 31, 2022
One of the smallest ants you might encounter in your home, thief ants can easily get into your home and food supply and go undetected until the infestation has grown. However, spotting them early is important, as these tiny pests carry dangerous diseases that can cause diarrhea and vomiting. They can grow colonies with thousands of workers and multiple queens.
If thief ants have invaded your home, now is the time to learn to recognize them, understand their habits and behaviors, and find out how to get rid of them safely. For all your thief ant problems, Habitat Protection Inc. provides pest control in San Diego you can rely on to eliminate these unwanted invaders for good.
What Does A Thief Ant Look Like?
Thief ants are very small, usually less than 1/16 of an inch; they are light in color to dark brown with antennae divided into ten segments. Their waist is two segments that connect the thorax to the abdomen.
Thief Ants Habits & Behavior
For the most effective ant control, it is essential to understand some of the habits and behavior of thief ants, including the following:
- They are attracted to fat, sugar, and protein-rich foods, making them a common invader in kitchens even with regular cleaning habits.
- Thief ants travel in lines that usually go from their nest to the source of food they are currently invading.
- Thief ants are tiny and can come inside your home through the smallest cracks.
- While they are attracted to common household foods indoors, they can feed on insects and other animals outdoors, making it necessary to exterminate them in your home and yard.
Thief ants are tiny, but they can transmit dangerous diseases. If you notice a thief ant infestation, now is the time to look for ant pest control services near you.
Three Tips To Get Rid Of Thief Ants
If ants have invaded your property, the following three tips can help you eliminate them safely:
- Keep your kitchen clean at all times. Because thief ants are attracted to a wide variety of food, it is vital to keep all food prep and cooking areas clean and sanitized. Keep food stores in airtight containers.
- Seal all cracks in the structure of your home, fit windows and doors with fine-mesh screens, and install door sweeps. Thief ants are tiny, and it is easy for them to come indoors through these entry points. Fix all water leaks whenever possible as well.
- Keep your yard clean and tidy, as thief ants are known to make their nests in rotting wood and soil. Consider keeping your grass mowed short, trees and bushes trimmed, and your yard free of debris.
While these tips can help keep thief ants away, some infestations will also require professional ant pest control.
Effective Ant Control For San Diego Homeowners
The best way to keep thief ants away is to keep your home and yard clean and use pest control ant treatment as needed. If you cannot get rid of them despite your best efforts, it might be time to reach out to the experts.
At Habitat Protection Inc., our licensed professionals can help you eliminate a thief ant infestation safely and for good. Trying to exterminate thief ants on your own can be difficult, but reaching out to the experts can help save you both time and money. From dog-friendly ant control to the best options for ant control in your yard, we have everything you need.
Thief ants may be tiny, but they are carriers of diseases you could contract through contaminated food. If you are struggling with a thief ant infestation on your property, Habitat Protection Inc. can help. Contact us today for the most effective ant control in San Diego.
What Our Customers Are Saying
"My overall experience with your company was very good. They were on time and professional. They did good work and answered all questions we had. From the first point of contact with your company, we have had a good experience. Great customer service. We will use them in the future and highly recommend them!"
Contact Habitat Protection Today!(760) 991-3403
Reach out today to learn more pest control services in San Diego, CA.